Saturday, January 17, 2009

We are off to Indial

I turn fifty this year. Wow! Half a century. Pretty darn scary. For my fiftieth I told Sean I did not want a cruise or a Caribbean adventure. I wanted to do something that counted. Well, we are. On Thursday we are off to India with Rotary International to work in a Muslim village 50 km north of Delhi. In an effort to eradicate polio worldwide, Rotary has taken on the village of Chahalka in Northern India and for the third year are sending a team to help protect the water supply against contamination as well as construct toilet and washing facilities. Sean and I will be a member of this team for one week. It should prove to be interesting. From what I understand from the previous teams the work is hard and not the most pleasant but it is rewarding. I have never been afraid of hard work but I do find unpleasant odors to be a bit of a challenge. Please God I will get used to it quickly. The information that we have been sent says that due to the Muslim presence, women on the team are expected to cover their heads and wear loose clothing that covers all of the flesh. Those of you who know me are laughing now! I'm a big girl... I can do it! I just keep reminding myself that my sister visited Quatar and came back in one piece. We had dibs on her getting stoned to death in a town square.

After our week in Chahalka we are going to do some travelling around Northern India and then spend a week in Nepal. Our excitement is mounting and we are praying that our nemisis, Air Canada, is not planning yet another rain on our parade. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

5 comments:

  1. The sister wore the right cloths, kept her head down and came home udnerstanding the culture...I am sure you can too. Yeah can't affect change in a cnetries old culture over night...so show the girls that girls can build toilets...they are smart....they'll work out the rest themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is time for the Spirit of Sophia, Wisdom, to break into the world. To quote Michael J. Fox, "[We have]enough knowledge, enough computers, enough information, enough studies..." It's time for Wisdom to open our eyes.

    What a bold and wonderful thing you are about to do, Kim, and I respect you even more. Wishing you a most wonderful first adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful trip! I wish you the most unforgettable and rewarding experience!
    A hug...
    Sil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Father tells you to be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim & Sean
    I just finished reading the story on your trip to India.You did a wonderful job writing it.at times i felt like i was seeing it with you.I hated to come to the end of the story.I don't come in on face book often as you can see ,but i will from now on to see what you two are doing. thanks for the story [eye opener]

    ReplyDelete