Thursday, October 23, 2014

Jakarta

We are on the move again.  It has been awhile since I have had an adventure to write about.  Sean and I just arrived in Jakarta, Indonesia via Hong Kong.  It took two days to get here   Gotta love sleeping on an airplane in the middle seat between two strangers.... not that I slept!  Air Canada go out of their way to make sure that Sean and I never sit together on a flight.  I am now stuck in a time warp, 11.5 hours behind where my body thinks it should be.  I was so looking forward to getting to the hotel in Jakarta last night so that I could fall into a real bed and sleep.  No such luck.  My brain thought it was 10am and there was no convincing it otherwise.  Sean, on the other hand, has the good fortune of having the ability to sleep anywhere, anytime as his super power.... GRRRRRRRRR.

It is an experience being in a taxi in a city that grew and left the street planning behind.  The drivers weave in and out of traffic like pros but it is like being on a circus ride without the safety checks.

Arriving at the hotel was a little disconcerting as we had to have our taxi checked for bombs upon our entrance.  As well,  we had to go thru a security check ourselves before we were allowed to enter.  We are not in Kansas now, Dorothy!

The hotel, LeMeridian, has a multi cultural breakfast buffet.  I went for food that I had never seen before.  It was wonderful.  It was more like what we would consider 'supper' food than breakfast food.  The selection of juices is the best.  I gorged myself on fresh mango and watermelon juices and fresh mango yogurt.  One of Sean's colleagues who is with us on this trip is a fussy eater.  Bahahahaha.  She's gonna starve!

Sean and I went for a walk after breakfast and walking out of the hotel was like being wrapped in a warm, wet blanket.  The heat and humidity hit you in with a vengeance.  It is monsoon season and since I have been at the computer the sun has disappeared and it looks as tho the clouds will burst at any moment.  When we arrived last nite the rain was torrential but fortunately stopped by the time we left the airport. I am not sure the drive would have been quite so entertaining in the rain.

I have attached some photos to help you with the sounds and smells of the city as well as the sites.  About one third of the people we see are wearing a face mask. That should help with the sense of smell that I am trying to portray.  As well the photo of the river might put you off your cookies.  That said, it is positively spotless compared to Delhi.  We fly to Jogja this afternoon and from what I have read about that city there will be lots to write about there.  Till then....
                                                      Notice the lady wearing the face mask
                                                   This driver is also wearing a face mask
                                               A vendor cooking on an overhead walkway
                                                 River in the City.  Can you smell it?

No comments:

Post a Comment