Sunday, November 9, 2014

Torpedo Rafting

Hands down, this was the BEST part of the trip so far.  Samar Island used to be extensively logged but now it is illegal to cut a tree that has not been planted by their tree planting program.  Local people who depended on logging have had to resort to new means of lively hood.  One budding entrepreneur started and eco tourism business using the dug out boats that the people here have used forever.  His team takes you down the Ulot River on a one hour trip, swim at the end for as long as you want, a delicious lunch and then a one hour trip back up river.  What a blast!  And the swim at the midpoint of the trip was even more fun.
 Here we are starting out.
Not a great shot of the rapids, but it was hard to get one any better than this.
 See mommy jump?
 Of course Stappy had to one up me.


You want me to jump WHERE?  It was worth it tho.  It is like jumping into a whirlpool.
This was heading back up river.  I wished I had gotten a photo of them pulling the boat up thru the rapids but I was paralyzed with fear thinking about being the next group.
At the end of the day when we were back in the truck, the military stopped us as we were leaving.  When I asked what that was all about I was told that Gaga, the director of Natural Resources, had asked them to strategically hide themselves along the riverbank to watch over us.  I guess there is a lot of illegal logging in the park and anybody who threatens the activities is fair game.  And to think, Daddy, you were only worried about me getting on unsafe ferries.  Bet you never dreamed of worrying about this, huh?  Me either.  Funny thing was, they drove us thru the park sitting in the pan of the pickup after this.  I felt like a sitting duck.


No comments:

Post a Comment