Saturday, November 8, 2014

Unicef in Tacloban



We stopped at one of the malls in Tacloban City to change up some money and parked next to some of the Unicef vehicles in the mall parking lot.  I didn’t count, but would estimate that there were about eight of them.  I have no problem with relief workers having good food and a comfortable bed; after all, they are on the front line.  I cannot imagine working the way they are in this heat.  But look at these vehicles. 

 My flash bounced off the Unicef sticker in the first shot but the second shows it very well.

 A little over the top, don’t you think?  One of these would pay for 100 or more of the tiny (about 10’x10’) relief shelters that the homeless residents are still living in.  Not a great shot of the shelter but it gives you some perspective.

The driver of one of these vehicles got out and asked me why I was taking photos.  I had to fudge my way thru that!  He seemed to be on the defense, as he should.  It was vulgar to see the extravagance by this world relief organization in such stark contrast with the devastation surrounding them. 

2 comments: