Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Leaving Chahalka



I have to admit. When I first came into this village a week ago, I wondered what in the love of God I had had gotten myself into. I really thought that it would take every bit of gumption that I had to stick it our. Funny what you can get used to. I have become quite fond of this village and it's people. Except for most of the men. They deserve an especially warm place in hell. Except for the nice guy who bought us all cotton candy and Chrissy's little brick layer. Oh, and Rockmudeen (phonetic spelling) the camel driver with the dead camel. He was sweet.

Now, instead of the piles of garbage everywhere, My eyes are drawn to the women in their green and blue and orange and pink saris, posture perfect (from years of carrying everything on their heads), against a bacdrop of beautiful blue sky and acres of yellow mustard. The colors dazzle the eyes. Instead of the dirty faced, snotty nosed children who are constantly demanding our glove, our cameras, our water.... everything they see.... I notice their brilliant smiles.

I have learned a lot about human nature here. We did not need to bring t shirts and soccer balls to make these people happy. All you need is a set of hands to show them clapping games or paper to make them origami. The gifts that we did bring only caused a riot when they were taken from the duffel bag. We had to hurry to the bus to avoid being mobbed. It was not a pleasant situation at all. There were not enough gifts for everyone and I am sure that when the village elders pass them out that they will not reach the correct hands. They will go to those that already 'have'.

Before the riot the community gathered us together and the women of our group were assembled with the women of the village while the men met outside with the males of the village. You cannot mix the two. We were presented with wonderful scarves to hide our hair and faces and the men were presented with turbans. Gifts from people I would have thought had nothing to give. I feel truly appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. Just got home a few hours ago and I feel like I'm having culture shock! I miss you guys, hope you're have a great time in Nepal and getting to do whatever you want. Thanks for mentioning my little brick layer as one of the good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sean should try to rock the turban back home, cover up the bald spot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, the tying of the turban seems rather similar to the tying of a diaper, which will undoubtedly come in handy later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chrissie! We really miss you and your Mom, too. Nepal is awesome. I really hate to tell you that because I know how it makes you feel. WE are in Pokara today and we went trekking. Could have gone paragliding or flying an ultralight but we are saving our money for our children to inherit! WE also went into a bat cave. You would LOVE it here. Can't get caught up in my blog because internet is still unreliable, altho a damn sight better than India. Stay tuned to hear about our Nepalese adventures. Have you dumped Chris for my son yet?

    ReplyDelete