Saturday, February 14, 2009

Religion in India


Whether you are Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist, life centers around religion. The Imams of the Muslim religion have their first call to prayer at 5am. They ring the bells, sound a horn and then broadcast prayers over a loudspeaker through the whole community. And, any neighbouring communities. I can only compare it to Jesse's roosters of Osorno. I wish you were here, Jess, to write a poem. Only you could appreciate what I am talking about.

The Hindus have their 32,000,004 Gods of which we have seen the 4 at least a million times and the other 34 million at least once a piece. Hindus take their Gods very seriously. They go to temple at least once a day and often more than once. Some of these temples are on top of hills or mountains (closer to God) and they make the trek faithfully. Kind of like climbing Gros Morne twice a day to pray. They must be feeling AWFULLY guilty about something! Personally, if I see one more Shiva or Ganesh I am going to throw myself on the first funeral pyre I see!

And then there are the Buddhists (Nepal). Sorry, I have lost interest by now. I find it very hard to pay attention anymore. I do know that they, like the Hindus, believe in reincarnation. I used to think that coming back in another life was a good thing but now I realize that these people spend their whole lives worrying about what they will be reincarnated as.

The idea of Christianity is much more appealing. Die. Do straight to Heaven. Do not pass 'go' and do not collect $200.00. Besides, I have always wanted to learn to play the harp!

No comments:

Post a Comment