Saturday, February 14, 2009

Potter's Square



We visited a great spot this morning. The ideal spot for me! It was a square where the potters, weavers and paper makers live. I guess they would be called the handicraft caste. Our guide has sensed that we are not interested in seeing any more temples or stupas and has created a tour that he thinks will be of more interest to us. He arranged for me to make a pot on one of the manuel potter's wheels, we visited and toured a paper making shop where the paper is manufactured from start to finish (pretty basic but I was happy to see the woman handling the dyes wearing rubber gloves), several weaving facilities (will upload photos later. Hilary, at least 10 women are crammed into a room the size of your studio with all of their looms and associated needs), and a group of women sitting knitting invited me to give it a try. I think they were expecting to have to show me how it was done and were rather surprised that I knew how. I am pretty sure that our guide thinks that I am low caste because I know how to do these things.

1 comment:

  1. did you weave anything for your favourite child?

    ReplyDelete