Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Artisans of Purmamarca

Some of the sheep and llama yarn that was for sale.

Hand woven rugs in a shop in Purmamarca.


This post is for my friends who love fibre as much as I do. This place is an artisans paradise. The pottery, wood work and weaving are out of this world. These photos were taken in the far north of Argentina. We visited two towns, Purmamarca and Humahuaca the drive to which was unforgettable. The latter of these two towns is one of the last before the final stretch to Bolivia and the Bolivian influence is strongly felt both in the crafts we saw and the dress of the people living there. I have spent my time in northern Argentina, with my nose deep into any ball of wool that I have seen. It is all homespun, mostly on drop spindles, and the lanolin scent is still strong. I had to by a new tote to carry all of the sheep and llama yarn that I have purchased. I am afraid I got a little greedy. Now all I have to do is find the time to work with it when I get home.



5 comments:

  1. thank-you for the post kim! i'm going to immediately make a skein of yarn based on the colours of that pile of blankets. keep the posts coming! we are needing colour here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it when you are done! The colour here would bedazzle you, Shawn. It is like being dead and gone to heaven. There is a place for 'white' in the world, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Dog!
    Enjoy.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kim. Can't wait to hear more about your travels. So wonderful of you to think of us here and cheers for sending some inspiration along.
    See you on the mountain when you return.
    Have a grateful journey in Argentina.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What would Mrs. W say about the colours?
    Heather

    ReplyDelete