Thursday, February 24, 2011

Communicating

I walked into a tiny cafe on a side street yesterday. It appealed to me because it was filled with local people and it seemed very alive. In a place like that you get a true feeling for the culture and the food. The waiter could not speak on word of english and when he gave me the menu he kept jabbing at one item, berenjena rellenas. For all I knew he was trying to tell me it was sold out. We could not communicate so after a couple of minutes of struggle between us he walked over to a neighbouring table where the customer was just about to cut into his food, whisked the plate from under him and brought it over to show me. The diner just sat there with his fork and knife poised and mouth wide open in astonishment. Oh... to have snapped a photo of that expression.

I did order it. It turned out to be grilled eggplant stuffed with ground meat and coated with tomato sauce and cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

3 comments:

  1. Haha...Kim you're so descriptive I actually thought I was in the cafe with you, love your writing! You need to carry a cellphone with a camera for moments like that. How long will you be gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a freaking cell phone witha camera. I paid Bell to put a package on it while I was here and when I got here it didn't work! Bell is in the same league with Air Canada whenit comes to service! I guess I have jinxed myself now because we are headed back today and I am sure that Air Cananda tracks all of my communications just waiting to have the chance to get back at me.

    ReplyDelete