Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Footloose and Fancy Free in Buenos Aires

So... here I am in Buenos Aires again. Sean is at work ( everybody together... Poooooor Sean) and I am on holiday. BA is the second largest city in South America, after Sao Paulo, Brazil, and boasts a population of 13 million people. That is more than half of the population of all of Canada. The above photo is of Florida (pronounced Floreeda) Avenue. One million people per day stroll along this cobblestone street. To put that in economic terms, imagine if every one of them spent one dollar! Kind of puts it in perspective, huh?

I am OBVIOUSLY a tourist. To begin with I am wearing more clothes (in my shorts and polo shirt) than any other women in the city, secondly, I am not holding a cigarette and the Birkenstocks are a dead giveaway.... nothing less than 3" stillettos here! It would be just as well for me to be holding a neon sign saying 'Rip Me Off'. Everthing I buy is at least 10 pesos more than it is for the porteno. (Porteno's, or 'people of the port' are what Argentinians refer to themselves as.) It is baking hot here. And, humid. Like being wrapped in a warm, wet blanket.

The men here are beautiful. No other way of describing them. Sean keeps talking about all of the beautiful women and commenting that the men do not equal their counterparts in appearance. He is obviously blind. They are GORGEOUS! The women, too, are very beautiful and I do not understand how they can navigate on the loose cobblestones on those heels.

I love to 'people watch'... I could sit in the cafes for hours and just watch the world walk by.

No comments:

Post a Comment